From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:36:33
1 On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 07:48:16PM +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On Thursday 21 August 2003 18:56, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 11:14:48AM +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
4 > > > On Thursday 21 August 2003 07:50, Jon Portnoy wrote:
5 > > > > It's for our benefit. Otherwise, we're screwed.
6 > > > >
7 > > > > Frankly, sometimes we have to do things to protect ourselves, even if
8 > > > > that means that when you contribute something to us, the contributed
9 > > > > piece that becomes a part of Gentoo belongs in an intellectual property
10 > > > > sense to Gentoo. You'll find the same situation if you want to
11 > > > > contribute code to GNU projects: copyright must be assigned to the FSF
12 > > > > so they can defend themselves.
13 > > >
14 > > > Just to chip in.. it seems a dangerous policy to advocate all of the
15 > > > copyrights being held in one place. Even if you trust Gentoo Technologies
16 > > > Inc. do you trust everyone else that has financial dealings with this
17 > > > company? Do you trust that no one in the world will sue Gentoo Tech.
18 > > > Inc., say for patent infringement, or maybe claim a contract dispute and
19 > > > say that they own xxx lines of already contributed code?
20 > > >
21 > > > All it takes is for GTI to lose one court case and be bankrupted and it
22 > > > will be obligated to sell its assets to pay court costs and fines. Now
23 > > > any code where the copyright is solely held by GTI can have its license
24 > > > changed to a closed, non-free one, and at that point a proprietory
25 > > > non-free fork of Gentoo can be made. The GPL was explicitly designed to
26 > > > prevent this but when copyright is assigned you must make clear in the
27 > > > contract that the code can never be unGPLed.
28 > >
29 > > The GPL already states that.
30 >
31 > That is incorrect. See for example the Sistina GFS fiasco. GFS was a GPL
32 > product which had contributor copyrights assigned to Sistina. Then they
33 > decided to go closed source, taking all the user contributions with them.
36 Sorry, perhaps I misinterpreted. You can relicense it, however you can't
37 retroactively revoke the GPL; i.e., older versions that were under the
38 GPL stay under the GPL.
41 Jon Portnoy
42 avenj/irc.freenode.net
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list