From: Andrea Barisani <lcars@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] making ebuilds with interactive options (bug #34243)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:00:27
1 Hi,
2
3 making interactive ebuild is always considered bad because it breaks 'emerge
4 -u world'. However when building samhain ebuild (you can find it at
5 http://www.gentoo.org/~lcars/ebuilds/) I have find necessary to include
6 interactive options, that's because this integrity checkers needs a number of
7 parameters that must be configured at compile time for preventing tampering.
8
9 These parameters includes: server IP address, binary name, a XOR value, PGP
10 key fingerprint and so on. The parameters are needed if some IUSE flags of
11 the ebuild are on, without those flags the package perform a default
12 installation without interactive questions.
13
14 The question is, since interactive is a bad thing how would you treat this
15 kind of apps? What we should do with my ebuild? I really think that all these
16 features should be implemented, after all we use Gentoo because we can
17 install apps the way we like right? :) It would be a shame not allow users to
18 use all samhain features.
19
20 I was thinking about a way to storing the parameters on the first emerge and
21 then using them automatically when updating, anyone has an elegant way in
22 mind for doing that?
25 Bye and thanks
29 Andrea Barisani <lcars@g.o> .*.
30 Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Developer V
31 ( )
32 GPG-Key 0xC9EE0905 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lcars/pubkey.asc ( )
33 491D E9E0 3875 0EC9 10DD 150B CAA9 2C7D C9EE 0905 ^^_^^
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list