From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, games@g.o, qa@g.o, "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <mva@×××.name>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The request to abolish games team policy
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 10:41:52
1 On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 3:31 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 7 Jul 2014, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 >> iii. that the games group along with the game-specific install tree
5 >> should be deprecated and phased out. Games should be installed alike
6 >> any other applications.
7 >
8 > The install locations (/usr/games, /usr/share/games, /var/games, etc.)
9 > are specified by the FHS. So they're not entirely games team policy.
10
11 I just checked some random packages on Debian and found that adherence
12 to this path there is mixed. I'd say the majority of packages I
13 checked installed in /usr/games, but quite a few did not. Many of the
14 ones that tended to install there were games that probably predate the
15 Linux kernel, but this was by no means exclusively the case.
16
17 Their official policy says that games should go in /usr/games though.
18 They also state "Each game decides on its own security policy." They
19 apparently only use a games group for things like high scores and save
20 game dirs, and use sgid on the binary to accomplish this (minimizing
21 its use in general). (Note, I don't run Debian much, so this is the
22 result of a quick scan of their policies and the real world may vary.)
23
24 Just another data point - we're not obligated to do things one way or
25 the other...
26
27 Rich