From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About how many spaces a tab represents
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 06:15:16
1 El lun, 15-04-2013 a las 07:21 +0200, Michał Górny escribió:
2 > On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 23:22:04 +0200
3 > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I noticed this problem now that joe was modified to comply with this
6 > > rule set in devmanual:
7 > > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html#indenting-and-whitespace
8 > >
9 > > It stated a tab represents 4 spaces. Where does this rule come from? Why
10 > > 8 spaces wasn't chosen instead? I say that because looks like 8 spaces
11 > > equivalence is used by tools like "cat", "less", even CVS reports in
12 > > gentoo-commits show tabs as 8 spaces instead of 4.
13 >
14 > Hmm, does that have implications on anything else but counting line
15 > width?
18 Well, I was a bit surprised an ebuild I was thinking was looking in a
19 way, was really shown a bit different when, for example, simply running
20 less over it :/