From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Slacker archs
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:34:38
1 First, by directing this email at you, I am not in any way suggesting
2 that others are justified in attacking you or that you are at fault in
3 a technical sense.
4
5 That being said, it's generally futile to bitterly demand that people
6 treat you with respect. It doesn't work.
7
8 So, that means that if you are falsely accused of something, and you
9 post an equally accusatory or biting response, you have now become
10 part of the problem by descending to their level, and it's no longer
11 clear that only one party is at fault.
12
13 The best strategy is to just be genuinely considerate and bambi-like
14 even when people don't deserve it, and hope that it catches on. People
15 tend to respond in kind.
16
17 You have reaped a bit of a whirlwind with your regularly
18 caustic/sarcastic posts, and I am sure that this has contributed to
19 people perceiving you in a negative light and instinctively responding
20 to you in a negative way. You also tend to keep the flame alive with
21 your very good recollection of the faults of others.
22
23 It really isn't an issue of who is right or wrong, but an issue of
24 exercising basic social graces so that people aren't continually out
25 to get you. It's not about changing the subject, but rather discussing
26 the subject without engaging in biting dialogue.
27
28 Really, I think the root of it is that your frequent caustic sarcasm
29 is often interpreted as a personal attack or "put down" by nearly all
30 cultures of the world. Sarcasm doesn't work well over email, and it's
31 easily interpreted in a way that you might not intend. So from the
32 perspective of many, right or wrong, it is you who is starting the
33 fight.
34
35 -Daniel
36