From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] x-modular.eclass: A modified approach to EAPI support
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 20:57:33
1 I decided to try something a little different because I had some ideas
2 for improving the existing EAPI patches I've seen going into other
3 eclasses. So here is my patch for x-modular.eclass. I tested it with
4 ebuilds using EAPIs 0, 1, and 2, and it appeared to work fine. It
5 already happened to have a function called src_configure, so that
6 doesn't appear in the patch.
7
8 One thing I see as an improvement is a lack of EAPI value checks
9 throughout the ebuild to avoid repetition between the function export
10 and the function call. Things just check whether a function was
11 exported, which is the only place where EAPI value checks happen.
12
13 Additionally, the fallback in case statements is "I don't know what to
14 do" and supported EAPIs are explicitly defined. This will make it
15 obvious when the eclass doesn't support a new EAPI instead of it
16 randomly failing after you try it.
17
18 Any thoughts?
21 Thanks,