From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Where to put prerelease vanilla kernels?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:36:00
1 On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 12:16:03PM -0400, Matt Rickard wrote:
2 > I'm wondering what's the best way to handle these? First option is to
3 > put them in vanilla-sources, for example,
4 > vanilla-sources-2.4.22_pre7.ebuild. If we ~ mask them, people using the
5 > unstable profile will get these prerelease kernels if merging
6 > vanilla-sources. I'm not sure this is desired behavior, however, it IS
7 > the unstable profile :)
8
9 Its more like the testing. ~arch is when a developer deems his package ready
10 for inclusion.
11
12 > Another option is to create a separate category for these, something
13 > like pre-vanilla-sources. This has the benefit that people who want
14 > vanilla will get only vanilla, and not a prerelease -- regardless of
15 > which profile they are using.
16
17 I don't like this idea (even though I'm in the minority here :). First of
18 all, when the _pre's are finished and the stable kernel is released, people
19 which are using pre-vanilla-sources will be stuck at the latest _pre (or
20 _testing).
21
22 And when they emerge the vanilla-sources, they'll miss the next _pre cycle.
23
24 Personally, I would go for package.mask
25
26 Wkr,
27 Sven Vermeulen
30 Save some animals, eat a vegetarian.