From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bug #565566: Why is it still not fixed?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 02:39:29
1 On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Which means it's the tools that expect reverse-chronological order that
4 > must change. Either that, or people /that/ concerned about the
5 > changelogs can simply switch to the git repos and use the existing git
6 > tools to read their changelogs, as many (including me, as I regularly
7 > check changelog entries, and now that I can, sometimes the actual diff,
8 > on one or more packages at nearly every update) already are.
9
10 Setting aside the whole git-vs-rsync debate, I'd generally recommend
11 that anybody interested in programmatic analysis of changes in the
12 tree use git anyway, because there are far better ways to walk git
13 commits/etc programatically than parsing changelogs. In python you
14 can trivially iterate over commits, access the content of files, all
15 the metadata, and so on.
16
17 I'm not against devs doing the work to provide changelogs for those
18 who prefer them, but I'd just go right to git if I were writing tools.
21 Rich