From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Distribution Name
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 05:21:41
3 Hi,
4
5 Some comments of mine.
6
7 1. We use python because the ebuild system is in heavy development and
8 python is very good for RAD.
9 If we have all the features we want in ebuild wewill port it t C++,
10 so this GPL problem isonly temporary.
11
12 2. You must separate the portage tree fron the iso's. In the near future
13 (1.0-final or a bit later) it should
14 be possible to build a system that relyies only on GPL'ed software. We
15 don't care about GPL-philosophies
16 for our release-candidate iso's because we want to provide a
17 fullfeatured and usable system that includes
18 most of the things you expenct a linux-distro to have at the moment.
19 Try to see it like portage is some sort
20 of distribution-framework and the iso is just an example what you can
21 do with it.
24 achim~