From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Does the scm ebuild masking policy make sense for git?
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 03:47:01
1 On 09/07/2014 09:03 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Right now the general policy is that we don't allow unmasked (hard or
3 > via keywords) ebuilds in the tree if they use an scm to fetch their
4 > sources. There are a bunch of reasons for this, and for the most part
5 > they make sense.
6
7 Hard masking is a relic from the days that we didn't just have empty
8 keywords, most of the VCS ebuilds in the tree just have empty keywords
9 now and are not actually hard masked. I'd say if you set
10 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="**" then you get to keep the pieces.
11 >
12 > I was wondering if this policy still made sense in the case of scm
13 > ebuilds that pull a particular git commit. While portage can't check
14 > the Manifest, the fact is that git will in this case, and since we're
15 > pointed at a content-hashed commit we can ensure that the package
16 > never changes. We of course can't mirror it with the current setup
17 > (there is no real reason we couldn't mirror git, but this is a
18 > different problem).
19 >
20 > Tying ebuilds to a git commit has pros and cons, but I'm hard-pressed
21 > to think of any actual QA issues. That is, something that would make
22 > our tree inconsistent, or create a security vulnerability.
23
24 Just use a snapshot tarball, it's not hard to do, it allows us to mirror
25 the file, checksum the file, and users can reinstall while offline if
26 they have fetched ones.
27 >
28 > Am I just not thinking of something? It would probably be most useful
29 > for packages that track a backport branch or something along those
30 > lines - where upstream does not regularly update their tarballs so
31 > we're constant creating patchsets. In this case all we'd have to do
32 > is bump the commit ID in the ebuild.
35 I make a lot of VCS snapshot tarballs, it's annoying, but the benefits
36 to the users seem to far outweigh the 2-3 minutes of aggravation it
37 takes me to make a tarball.
38
39 -Zero
40 > --