From: Thomas Flavel <thomasfl@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tom
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:10:05
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 02:03:01PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
> [...]
Hmmm... I'm just thinking aloud here; I'm not even sure if it's a useful idea, nor am I sure that I can explain it satisfactorialy :/ Ok, from the users perspective, it would look like this: A default configuration skeleton would be installed (a default ~/.bashrc etc), as it is currently. The user would then be able to apply, um, "themes" to their configuration - for example I like the highlight colour to be red, so I would find myself going through ~/.pinerc, ~/.lynxrc etc making them all look the same... the same applies to things like prompts, shells, editor of choice, my favorite mail program, /etc/hosts etc etc. How could this theming work? I thought perhaps a central data file, containing (bear with my example please ;) things like $FAVORITE_COLOUR etc - a script could then be run to update the appropiate rc files. I'm picturing the data for the skeleton rc files being part of the ebuild package; I guess it would have to be extracted to some database reminicient of termcap... I don't think this is particularly urgent; as I said, I'm just thinking aloud. It's just an idea to let you reconfigure everything to the way you like it... I'm not even sure I have exaplined it correctly... basically cfengine but extended to allow for changing variables in rc files too - Tom