From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: news item for sys-apps/systemd -> /usr migration
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 09:29:10
1 Olivier Crête posted on Thu, 05 Jan 2012 21:03:32 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 20:29 -0500, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
6 >> Negative effects of removing the /bin/systemd symlink on 2021-05-01: an
7 >> unknown number of users who had forgotten to update their grub.conf
8 >> will discover that they can no longer boot their systems.
9 >>
10 >> I would suggest not removing the symlink unless there is a technical
11 >> reason why its presence is undesirable.
12 >
13 > Doing aggressive migrations like that should really be avoided.. But we
14 > know that the real long term solution is to have a /bin -> /usr/bin
15 > symlink.
16
17 I'm not a systemd user, but I did see his gentoo planet entry on the
18 topic, which explains why he's moving this fast.
19
20 http://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2012/01/04/moving-systemd-into-usr-the-technical-side/
21
22 In it he said he wished he'd introduced systemd with everything on /usr in
23 the first place. He sees the mistake now, and prefers to correct it while
24 the fewest gentoo users possible are yet using systemd. As few are using
25 it at this time and that number is likely to grow over time, only making
26 the transition harder, he's moving much faster with the change than he'd
27 ordinarily move.
28
29 Keep in mind that at present, systemd has no stable keywords at all, and
30 only amd64 and x86 in ~arch. For gentooers anyway systemd is thus still
31 beta, and he's choosing to move stuff around now while that's still the
32 case, instead of later, after stabilization. Those gentooers using it now
33 are early adopters by definition, and should be ready to deal with this
34 sort of stuff.
35
36 Given that, the March and June timeframes are IMO PLENTY. IMO, even a
37 mere 30 days would be reasonable for a package at this stage in the
38 process, and he's running a news item and giving them WAY more than that.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman