From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improve the security of the default profile
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 02:50:23
1 On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 08:21:35 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
5 > > So does anyone have any objections to making -fstack-protector the default?
6 > > Now is the time to speak up.
7 >
8 > So, in this world of all-or-nothing we want people who realize that
9 > 100% protection might not be possible to raise an objection so that we
10 > end up with 0% protection instead?
11
12 No, all I've heard so far is support and wanted to give anyone with an opposing
13 viewpoint a chance to speak up. I support it, but if there are any problems we
14 might run into it's best we know about them beforehand, no? I wasn't looking
15 for a reason to veto it.
16
17 > Why not just do the sensible thing (IMHO) and make it a default, and
18 > then if it doesn't work for an individual package deal with it on an
19 > individual basis? We already encourage maintainers to try to get
20 > custom CFLAGS to work when practical, but when not practical we filter
21 > them. I don't see stack protection as any different. If there is a
22 > fix, then fix it, and if not, then disable it. I don't see a lack of
23 > stack-protection as a reason to keep something out of the tree.
24
25 Rich, that's exactly what I'm saying.
26
27 We have to make an effort to fix things properly, like we do with any supported
28 feature. That's something I see as one of the key strengths of this group we
29 have. Obviously there are cases where a fix isn't possible (glibc and gcc
30 itself are prime examples) and we need to disable it. That's fine. But we
31 need to discourage people sweeping problems under the rug because they're
32 inconvenient, especially when those problems may indicate security issues.
33
34 I'm just trying to set proper expectations - that this change may break
35 people's packages, and they may have to do some work to find out why and how to
36 fix it. I don't like creating more work for people, so I want to be sure there
37 is consensus on this first. So far it sounds like there is.
41 Ryan Hill psn: dirtyepic_sk
42 gcc-porting/toolchain/wxwidgets @ gentoo.org
43
44 47C3 6D62 4864 0E49 8E9E 7F92 ED38 BD49 957A 8463