From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 15:04:13
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Now that Gentoo apparently offers a wide selection of network
3 > managers, perhaps it makes sense to have the user pick which
4 > one they want to use.
5
6 +1
9 Rick Zero_Chaos Farina wrote:
10 > Choice is fine, I love choice, but to have a user unpack a stage tarball
11 > and find no way at all to handle their networking.... that's just ugly.
12
13 The system where you unpack the stage likely already handles networking.
16 > I would say it is rare enough to not need net that removing all
17 > networking options from stage3 is near suicidal.
18
19 I disagree. Not everything is connected. I also like that there's no
20 syslog and no cron in stage3.
23 > I can do all kinds of amazing things on a system without an MTA.
24 > But if I have no net I can't even install net....
25
26 If you need net then make sure to install the manager you prefer
27 during installation.
28
29 I think that makes a lot of sense.
32 //Peter