From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ${PORTDIR}/profiles/package.use
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:48:42
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Every once in a while I see people wanting to use nosomething use flags.
3 > Why don't we have a package.use like we already have a package.mask
4 > file? This would make it possible for developers to turn on use flags by
5 > default in a way that would not cruft the base profiles for every local
6 > use flag.
7
8 The main problem I'd have with this is the stacking order, e.g.
9 profiles/package.use has "app-misc/foo bar" and make.conf has
10 "USE=-bar", which one should be preferred?
11 Current rules say that /etc/portage/package.use overrides make.conf, and
12 user config overrides profiles, the proposal would create a new
13 unintuitive situation between those two.
14 Depending on the answer on this it also has some technical implications
15 with the way package.use support is implemented currently. In short it's
16 not a trivial thing to do.
17
18 Marius
19 --