From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] PROPERTIES=virtual for meta-packages (clarification of definition)
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 15:38:42
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > If it's only used to indicate that the package doesn't install any
3 > files I'd suggest to use 'empty' or 'nocontents' instead. 'virtual'
4 > somehow implies that it's only applicable to packages in the 'virtual'
5 > category, which isn't the case with the given definition (as you said).
6
7 I like "virtual", since it really gets at the spirit of what the ebuild does.
8 "empty" sounds like it does nothing at all, and "nocontents" sounds that way to,
9 to me.
10
11 An analogy to "virtual" is a virtual method in OO programming - it sits at a
12 high level, does nothing in itself, but causes underlying methods to perform the
13 work.
14
15 -Joe