From: Eray Aslan <eray.aslan@×××××××.tr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] sys-libs/db and dll hell
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:28:26
1 Hi,
2
3 app-crypt/heimdal looks for db header files in db4/db.h db3/db.h db.h
4 db_185.h - in that order - and links with ldb. In Gentoo, we do not
5 have a db4 directory but rather db3 db4.7 db4.8 db5.0 etc.
6
7 Consequently, when both sys-libs/db-3 and sys-libs/db-4 are present,
8 heimdal links against libdb, which is a symlink against libdb-4.x, but
9 uses headers from db-3. Result is a segfault in heimdal - serves it
10 right for mixing it up :) .
11
12 * I am guessing this is not the first time. Any pointers on how to
13 solve this gracefully? inheriting db-use in ebuild and sedding works but
14 - is ugly
15 - there is a bunch of #ifdef db4/db.h's in the source so sedding the
16 configure script is not enough
17 - this is a security related package so I try to refrain from patching
18 * I can submit upstream a proper patch that will make the code look at
19 db.h first and db4/db.h db3/db.h later. Is there a (unwritten?) rule
20 that says look at db.h first? Any links?
21 * All linuxes I checked work correctly if the code looks at db.h first.
22 What's the case in *BSD, Solaris, etc? Is Linux a special case in
23 this regard?
24
25 Thanks
26 --