From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 13:49:23
1 On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 05:24:19 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 09:32:09PM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote
5 > > On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 20:27:38 -0400
6 > > "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > > > Though I will have to see what happens if a package is listed in
9 > > > > more than one set. I think there is a hierarchy there.
10 > > >
11 > > > I tried "emerge -pv --unmerge @palemoon_build", and it was
12 > > > ready to delete all the stuff, including gcc, etc.
13 > >
14 > > Did you get any warnings? Your about to remove a system package,
15 > > etc.
16 >
17 > Yes, for gcc.
18
19 Which if someone ignores warnings, and breaks their system, it is on
20 them. At that point your best to remove said package from the set, and
21 then proceed with removing the set.
22
23 > If / when I unmerge the meta-set, I want to only unmerge stuff that
24 > is not part of (packages I normally require). I do not want all
25 > members of the set unmerged unconditionally, regardless of being
26 > dependancies for packages I still have.
27
28 That is a matter of knowing what is in the set and on your system. In
29 that case the idea for a set would be to add packages that are NOT part
30 of your normal system. Adding packages part of your system would defeat
31 the benefit.
32
33 > This is where a meta-package is superior to a set. I simply unmerge
34 > the meta-package, and "emerge --ask --depclean". If a meta-set item
35 > is a dependancy of a package that I'll be keeping, it won't get
36 > removed. I do not want to risk removing a package that is needed
37 > elsewhere. And 2 or 3 years later, I may have installed packages
38 > that have members of the meta-set as a dependancy. A meta-package
39 > removes the risk of shooting myself in the foot.
40
41 Yes in the case you just add stuff into a set, not paying attention if
42 it is a dep of another package, present or future. Then a meta ebuild
43 does allow someone to be "lazier" ( not insulting you ) and know less
44 about their system and packages. Just toss package names into a ebuild,
45 and not worry if its a dep or not, past, present, or future.
46
47 It is a way to go, but others may want more fine grained control and
48 have more awareness of package dependencies, and only add non dependent
49 non-system packages to a set.
50
51 > > > I deleted /etc/portage/sets/palemoon_build, and the entry
52 > > > "@palemoon_build" from /var/lib/portage/world_sets. It turns out
53 > > > that all these packages are required anyways.
54 > >
55 > > Meaning little was removed after you did emerge --depclean world ?
56 >
57 > Nothing would've been removed. Several months ago, the hicolor-icon
58 > theme would've been removed. But it has recently been added to the
59 > ever-growing list of gtk dependancies. GTK == GNOME Tool Kit,
60 > regardless of what they officially call it.
61
62 More a result of RedHat's involvement in both GTK and Gnome. Also FYI
63 High Color should be a dep of all desktops, or anything that complies
64 with freedesktop.org standards.
65 https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html#directory_layout
66
67 Its where random application icons are installed that are not bound to
68 any one theme. /usr/share/icons/hicolor/
69
70 If no theme provides an icon, it looks in hicolor and uses that.
71
72 > I only ran a "pretend" unmerge, to see what would happen if I did
73 > unmerge the set. As a precaution, I've decided to migrate over to a
74 > meta-package. As per Rich Freeman's recommendation, I'll go with
75 > RDEPEND, and fill in optional descriptive fields in the meta-set.
76
77 In your case a meta ebuild is likely a better suited for your needs and
78 uses. Yes you want RDEPEND, I was going to comment on that but Rich had
79 already so no need to duplicate. Though technically a meta ebuilds does
80 not need those to run, just the way to pull them in.
84 William L. Thomson Jr.