From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc-0.5.1 arrived in the tree
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 06:34:14
1 On Wednesday 14 October 2009 02:12:03 Eray Aslan wrote:
2 > On 14.10.2009 03:17, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 13 October 2009 19:30:52 Joshua Saddler wrote:
4 > >> All that to say, Tommy (et al), is that the idea of expecting users to
5 > >> magically know everything and not to offer any documentation *in
6 > >> advance* . . . is a silly idea. Good lord, can you imagine the shitstorm
7 > >> the X11 team would have gone through if they'd tried *that* without
8 > >> first writing up xserver 1.5 and 1.6 migration guides?!
9 > >
10 > > we arent talking migrations that are forced onto everyone. we're talking
11 > > about new code that users have to *opt in* for ("new net") that is only
12 > > available in unstable. expecting everything in testing to be documented
13 > > up front is unreasonable.
14 >
15 > While true in general, I cannot agree with you in this case. This is
16 > not some random app we are talking about. It is a change in init
17 > scripts that might render our servers inaccessible if things go wrong.
18 > Please bear in mind that we have servers operating in datacenters in
19 > other countries and network loss is the worst kind of bug you can
20 > inflict upon us.
21
22 people concerned with stability (i.e. headless dataservers) have no reason to
23 be running unstable. server instability here is self-inflicted.
24
25 > There is no documantation upstream. At least we have some docs in g.o
26 > (kudos to whomever wrote it) but it is old (there is no mention of
27 > oldnet USE flag for example). And IUSE="... +oldnet ..." is too fragile
28 > a solution.
29
30 there is to a degree -- read conf.d/network. it might seem thin, but i think
31 it's because "new" net is "supposed" to be thin.
32
33 > All I am saying is that this is a so important change that we should
34 > have gotten it right from the beginning. Openrc should not have been
35 > unmasked without proper documentation.
36
37 always getting things right from the beginning is impossible. problems are
38 found and rectified and we move on.
39 -mike