From: Todd Berman <tberman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] proposal: make gentoo-core publicly read-only
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:38:33
1 On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 16:49, Alec Berryman wrote:
2 > Currently, -dev isn't a developer list; most of the e-mail is users'
3 > suggestions discussed by other users and the occasional dev, as well as
4 > the occasional mis-post targeted for -user. Perhaps in the future, if
5 > -core would be accessible to the community that drive it, -dev could be
6 > the buffer zone between the final work of the developers and the user
7 > community. Right now, there's a feeling that the developers are
8 > shutting themselves in an ivory tower. That's not good for community.
9 > Gentoo's social contract has always said it will not "hide its
10 > problems", but has continued to keep its core development decisions
11 > closed.
12
13 Just as a quick point of reference, I have been a gentoo developer for
14 ~3 months or so, maybe a bit less. You want to know how I became a
15 gentoo developer?
16
17 It had nothing to do with finding the keys to the fabled tower, or
18 making the right friends, and had everything to do with being willing to
19 give a bit of my time and energy to serve something that is needed in
20 gentoo. All I did was make a couple small proposals here about some
21 general stuff, and then offer to maintain the sendmail ebuild. Thats it,
22 no hocus-pocus, no magic words, no secret rites, not even a special
23 handshake. (Man, did I feel gypped!)
24
25 My point is just this, you want access to -core, become a developer, its
26 part of the territory.
27
28 And I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure that many
29 other non-profit Linux distributions have non-open lists. In fact, I
30 would be very surprised if any Linux distributions don't.
31
32 --Todd