From: Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-firmware/iwl1000-ucode
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 17:08:26
1 On 16/11/19 16:59, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 1:06 AM Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za> wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> On 2019/11/15 21:35, Matt Turner wrote:
6 >>> On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 2:20 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
7 >>>> The package is somewhat redundant, because sys-kernel/linux-firmware
8 >>>> installs the same files. (Same for all other sys-firmware/iwl*-ucode
9 >>>> packages.)
10 >>> Should last-rite all of them, IMO.
11 >>>
12 >> I both agree and disagree with this. It's the simpler solution and
13 >> therefore I agree.
14 >>
15 >> I disagree because in some cases I really only want specific firmware
16 >> for specific sets of hardware (especially where space constraints are an
17 >> issue, read: embedded type systems).
18 >>
19 >> The current linux-firmware package is getting quite big in terms of install.
20 > USE=savedconfig allows you to choose exactly which files to install :)
21 >
22 I've never found a good way (yet...) to figure out how to write a fresh new
23 'savedconfig' if you haven't ever previously emerged the package in
24 question. Does anyone have a good method for this, that doesn't require
25 unpacking the whole nine yards (Megs, Gigs...) first?