From: Denys Duchier <duchier@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] per package settings (proposal?)
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:01:49
1 Hi devs,
2
3 Correct me if I am mistaken, but, as far as I know, there is no
4 convenient way to accept ~arch on a per package basis. I have seen
5 this issue frequently raised, and I certainly encounter the problem
6 regularly on my own Gentoo installation, but I have not seen a
7 proposal to address it. ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~arch unfortunately also
8 affects recursive dependencies. Personally, I find the situation very
9 painful.
10
11 A related issue are per package USE flags, or more generally per
12 package settings.
13
14 Here is an idea (perhaps it has already been suggested, in which case
15 please point me to right place):
16
17 Just like we now have /etc/portage/package.unmask, lets also have:
18
19 /etc/portage/package.env
20
21 It would consist of "hunks". Each hunk start with a package selection
22 condition and the following lines consist of variable assignments. To
23 reliably identify the start of a hunk let's say that there must be an
24 asterisk in column 0. So a hunk might look for example like:
25
26 * >=category/package-version
27 var1=val1
28 var2=val2
29 ...
30 varn=valn
31
32 for simplicity, I suggest either of the following semantics:
33
34 1. either, only the first matching hunk applies to a particular ebuild
35 2. or, all matching hunks apply (last setting for a variable wins)
36
37 I prefer option 1.
38
39 A particularly useful application would be:
40
41 * >=category/package-version
42 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
43 USE="..."
44
45 Obviously, the idea would be that the variables settings would only
46 apply for (have scope over) the specific ebuild, not over its
47 dependencies.
48
49 Is this foolish? already done? in the works? worth doing?
50
51 Cheers,
54 Dr. Denys Duchier
55 Équipe Calligramme