From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 18:38:24
1 On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I also mask all systemd files that somehow find their way into my
4 > system thanks to your past decisions as systemd supporter, instead of
5 > installing these only when systemd USE flag is set and adding openrc
6 > USE flag for the systemd users folks.
9 FWIW those decisions largely predate me, or at least my position on
10 the Council. They're still decisions I support for a few reasons,
11 which I'll outline because I think they add value:
12
13 1. Most of this concerns text files, such as systemd units or init.d
14 scripts. Their installation doesn't have much practical impact on the
15 operation of a system which doesn't use them, and having them around
16 makes it easier for users to switch implementations either way without
17 reinstalling half of their system. These are maskable in any case
18 fairly trivially.
19
20 2. I've also seen concerns when upstream renames paths to systemd-*
21 for things that used to be stored someplace else. While I know the
22 name tends to concern people, I think that it is beneficial to stick
23 to upstream paths because it doesn't add value to depart from them.
24 One of the things I like about Gentoo is that we follow upstream
25 closely, which means that if you use openrc you have init.d scripts
26 written for openrc and not LSB, and if you use systemd you have
27 systemd units and not wrappers around LSB.
28
29 I think these are both compelling reasons to maintain the current
30 policy, even if many don't like the direction upstream is going in the
31 case of systemd. As is the case with eudev if upstream ticks off too
32 many people it can be forked.
33
34 > It may in future that udev will completely relay on systemd and we
35 > left with eudev as the only choice for non systemd-eco system, it is
36 > better to start building this eco-system now, make sure we have a
37 > working solution at any given point in time.
38
39 I think you'll find that the eudev maintainers have largely created
40 that eco-system already, though others can judge how well they did.
41 This is really just about changing a default, and will not on its own
42 make the eudev experience any better or worse, or more supported or
43 less supported. Largely that is going to be the result of decisions
44 made by many upstream communities, and whether those who want to have
45 strong eudev support in Gentoo help deal with any issues that arise.
48 Rich