From: Benedikt Boehm <hollow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Consolidated Virtualization effort in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:01:07
1 Hi All,
2
3 recently Stuart and I came up with idea to consolidate development of all
4 Virtualization systems in Gentoo.
5
6 Virtualization is a framework or methodology of dividing the resources of a
7 computer into multiple execution environments. Virtualization techniques
8 create multiple isolated partitions (Virtual Machines (VM) or Virtual Private
9 Servers (VPS)) on a single physical server. There are several kinds of
10 virtualization techniques which provide similar features but differ in the
11 degree of abstraction and the methods used for virtualization.
12
13 First technique: Virtual Machines (e.g. VMWare, MS VirtualPC)
14 Second technique: Para-Virtualized Machines (e.g. UML, Xen)
15 Third technique: Virtualization on the OS Level (e.g. Linux-VServer, OpenVZ
16 aka Virtuozzo)
17
18 A more detailed comparision can be found at [1].
19
20 We'd like to encourage everyone who is interested in Virtualization
21 development in Gentoo to join #gentoo-vps (or reply to the list) and
22 participate in the planning of this effort.
23
24 Cheers!
27 [1] http://openvz.org/documentation/tech/virtualization
28 --