From: Wayne Vovil <wayne.vovil@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Use of --update: suggestion
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 21:58:14
1 I agree with this. However, a certain amount of responsibility must reside with each individual user.
2
3 I believe that an environment variable or Gentoo specific variable which allowed a user to specify whether they were a "newbie/intermediate/competent/developer/guru" et cetera user. Then the appropriate downloads / compiles would not only be based on the portage tree (I'm a newbie to Gentoo so bear with me); but also by the category of user. The user could then change / override this user value as they progressed in experience.
4
5 cheers
6
7 wayne
8 perth, western australia
9
10 > David Chamberlain <david@×××××××××××××××.com> gentoo-dev@g.o [gentoo-dev] Use of --update: suggestionReply-To: gentoo-dev@g.o
11 >Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:46:17 +0000
12 >
13 >I have a suggestion which might at least avoid some of the complaints
14 >the libpng issue has generated. The idea might have been mentioned
15 >before, but if so, I think it bears repeating.
16 >
17 >The problem seems to be that many people don't quite understand what
18 >they're getting with Gentoo - in particular, that it's up to them to
19 >decide whether or not to upgrade fully functional software and risk
20 >breaking their system. The ideas about stability levels etc. have some
21 >merit, but it won't fix that basic problem. So, I strongly suggest
22 >modifying the --upgrade command so that it behaves like unmerge - i.e.
23 >it asks the user if they really want to go ahead. --update world
24 >should be forced to act like --pretend, so that the user has to see
25 >what's going to be upgraded, and has to at least click enter once to
26 >set the upgrade in motion. There could be a flag in make.conf that
27 >power users could set to skip all this, but the default would be to ask
28 >for confirmation. The message might be something like this:
29 >=======================================
30 >The following packages will be upgraded by this command:
31 >sys-libs/verydangerouslib
32 >x11-wm/sillywm
33 >Please understand that the latest release of any software package can
34 >contain bugs or compatibility problems that might damage your system;
35 >if you do not have to upgrade, you might want to reconsider. You can
36 >always upgrade individual packages to a trusted version by using a
37 >command like "emerge
38 >/usr/portage/x11-base/xfree/xfree-4.1.0-r6.ebuild".
39 >SO: are you sure you want to proceed? [Y n]"
41 >
43 >gentoo-dev mailing list
44 >gentoo-dev@g.o