From: "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item 1: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 09:18:47
1 On 9/10/2012 10:39 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Gregory M. Turner posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:29:53 -0700 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> However, IIRC, /etc/make.conf is just ignored by portage if
5 >> /etc/portage/make.conf is present, so symlinking, or even better, if
6 >> possible, hardlinking those files would probably "do the right thing"
7 >> for legacy tools that don't know about the new location... unless I'm
8 >> mistaken, which is always plausible :)
9 >
10 > Thanks. Reasonable approach and good to know.
11
12 Well, I did warn about the likelihood I was wrong :) Pretty clever
13 'cause that way even when I'm wrong (as turns out to have been the
14 case), I'm still right :P
15
16 In all seriousness, if both of them are sourced, then could one get away
17 with something like this?
18
19 /etc/make.conf:
20 source /etc/portage/make.conf
21
22 /etc/portage/make.conf:
23 if [[ __GENTOO_MAKE_CONF_ONCE == gotit ]] ; then
24 __GENTOO_MAKE_CONF_ONCE=gotit
25 .
26 .
27 .
28 endif
29
30 or are conditionals disallowed? As Zac mentions, hopefully it's
31 harmless to duplicate things, but, personally, I would worry about the
32 effect of duplicates on performance, and also in PORTDIR_OVERLAY. Plus,
33 it just seems dirty.
34
35 -gmt