From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Working Group established to evaluate the stable tree
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 08:51:32
1 On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 00:55:50 -0700
2 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > For me IN_PROGRESS means the problem is being worked on, not that a fix
5 > has been posted/committed anywhere. INVCS is once the fix has been
6 > committed to the source repo and not anything to do with an ebuild from
7 > the coders perspective. The problem is the overlap of bugzilla for
8 > both ebuild repositories and source repositories. So if there is any
9 > changes to be made to the different states possible... Just remember
10 > the the different perspectives and try to make it clear what they are
11 > for. Also, if a pkg is never stabilized... does that mean it's bugs
12 > can never be closed? So far in the discussion, that point has not been
13 > brought up, but is very relevant to the discussion.
14 >
15 > /me mumbles about the extra bookeeping that work-flow will
16 > make...and subsequently put off and/or forget to do ;)
17
18 As an alternative approach, we could use "RESOLVED" to mean "Committed to tree"
19 and add a secondary stage, maybe called "VERIFIED"[1] to indicate it was shipped-to-stable
20
21 ;)
22
23 Thus:
24
25 - RESOLVED FIXED: Fixed, but no subsequent stabilization needed ( ie: fixed straight to
26 stable or in an ~arch only package )
27
28 - RESOLVED NEEDSTABLE: Fixed in ARCH, needs arch->~arch stabilization
29
30 - RESOLVED STABLE: Status after NEEDSTABLE
31
32
33 NB: When I said "InVCS" I meant a token stage akin to "needstable" that was seperate
34 from the existing "InVCS" bugzilla keyword, apologies for the confusion.
35
36 Because to me, Gentoo's bugzilla about "current ebuilds" should pertain to the ebuilds
37 themselves, not to the status of upstream those ebuilds just so happen to be wrappers for
38
39
40 1: Ok, not really, just my joke, but something with a better name.