From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving GCC-3.4 to stable on x86
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:59:51
1 Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> said:
2 > Only thing I see
3 > as lacking is we might want to get a doc together on how to properly upgrade
4 > your toolchain so we don't get an influx of bugs from users that have a
5 > system half compiled with 3.3 and the other half with 3.4 so they get linking
6 > errors.
7
8 Seems people read this to mean that I was going to write a doc, which I have
9 no intentions on doing. I believe adding "It is recommended that you `emerge
10 -e system && emerge -e world` after merging gcc-3.4" to the einfo at the end
11 of the gcc-3.4.4 install should be good enough. I'm not sure how other archs
12 handled the migration, but I haven't been able to find any docs online.
13
14 So, let me know if marking it stable in the next day or two is completely
15 stupid and I should wait to announce this via the GWN or something, or if its
16 an alright move and people aren't going to stab me for marking it stable.
19 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting toolchain x86)
20 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
21 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
22 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
23 http://www.halcy0n.com