From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: how to handle sensitive files when generating binary packages
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:16:03
1 Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o> posted
2 200706201515.20684.zzam@g.o, excerpted below, on Wed, 20 Jun 2007
3 15:15:20 +0200:
4
5 > On Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2007, Olivier Crête wrote:
6 >>
7 >> I will claim that almost any file in /etc is potentially sensitive
8 >> (even if it does not contain passwords, if may contain other
9 >> informations interesting to a cracker). And even if we did what you
10 >> propose, we'd run the risk of missing some and giving the user a false
11 >> sense of security.
12 >>
13 >> Maybe we should document somewhere that the only way to make bin pkg
14 >> that are safe for public distribution is to do emerge -b or -B .. And
15 >> that pkgs built with quickpkg may contain sensitive information.
16 >
17 > If there is smart conf-file updating inside pkg_preinst(), I think even
18 > emerge -b could be unsafe.
19
20 If so, then something is broken. pkg_preinst is for stuff done to the
21 /live/ file system (as opposed to the fake install, which is what's
22 packaged), according to the ebuild (5) manpage. As such, it should be
23 done when the binary package is actually merged (qmerged), since said
24 binary package may be (and often is) installed to a system other than the
25 one it was compiled on.
26
27 If pkg_preinst is modifying as-shipped bin-pkg config files based on the
28 "live" filesystem of the build system, not the target system, something's
29 seriously broken. If it's not, then it's not unsafe after all, at least
30 not in this context. In this regard, -b/-B behavior should be identical.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list