From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Implicit system dependencies
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 19:13:40
On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 13:53:26 Michael wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote: > > On Monday, August 22, 2011 15:21:23 Michael wrote: > >> I wrote a script to search for discrepancies between linked libraries > >> and what's defined in (R)DEPEND, with the intention of improving QA for > >> minimal package installs. > >> > >> The devmanual seems to suggest that it's a bad thing for packages to > >> explicitly depend on packages in the system set, while many packages in > >> the tree do indeed explicitly depend upon packages such as zlib and > >> ncurses. > > > > file bugs for missing zlib/ncurses deps. if there are other packages > > you're concerned with, ask now and we'll tell you. > > What about packages such as bzip2, xz-utils, or really, app-arch/*?
assuming you're referring to them because the SRC_URI is compressed by the relevant formats, atm only bzip2 and gzip is allowed to be assumed. everything else has to be in DEPEND. there is work/discussion to automate this (implicit unpack depends based on SRC_URI suffixes). if your package is actually linking against any of the libs these guys provided (like, then you need to treat it like any other link-time dependency.
> Also, on a related note, would it be appropriate to report the following > undeclared deps, given that the package in question already has DEPEND for > gtk+?
like Nathan said, only if the package directly uses/links against the X11 API/libs in question. if the package only uses gtk+ funcs, then it should not be declaring a dependency on the X11 libs. keep in mind that an app that only uses the gtk api can run on a system where gtk is not using X11 as its backend. think raw framebuffer, win32, or something equally ridiculous. -mike

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Implicit system dependencies Tim Harder <radhermit@g.o>
[gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Implicit system dependencies Michael <kensington@×××××××××××.net>