From: Andrew Ross <aross@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla Q: upgrading severity on someone else's bug [resolved]
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 07:07:00
Thanks for the advice, Donnie. I'll try to keep it in mind in my future
dealings with Bugzilla (you can't get rid of me that easily muhahaha!)

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 14:28, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 18:40, Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > > Here's a few suggestions, based on personal experience: > > > > 3) Priority is a very subjective issue. Sure, you consider it a blocker, > > but perhaps to another person a blocker bug is something that completely > > destroys an installed Gentoo system.
I was talking about severity, not priority, but I'll assume you were too. I usually work off the textual descriptions for each level of severity, which are provided by the guided bug reporting format ( There's always going to be a level of subjectivity, but in this case the software failed during configure, and no fix could be found in either Bugzilla or the official project homepage. blocker is defined as "This bug prevents you from testing or developing the software" (again, in the guided format), which seems to match the problem reasonably well. If a bug "completely destroyed an installed Gentoo system", I'd say it qualifies as both critical ("the software crashes, hangs, or causes you to loose data") and blocker, so I guess some cases are hard to judge - you still wouldn't call that a normal bug, though :-)
> > 4) If you want the assignees to pay attention to a bug, create some > > activity. Add a (polite!) comment requesting attention. That way the > > assignees get an email reminding them of its existence if they were > > concentrating on other things.
Sorry, I should have mentioned in my email that I'd already made a comment on the bug.
> The cause for concern in Andrew's case is that the bug was assigned to > an ex-developer, so it was not even likely to see any attention. DevRel > should look at the bugzilla accounts reassign bugs as part of a cleaning > process this week.
Hmm, I should have thought of this - can I assume that is the definitive list of current devs? In future, I'll check this before (somewhat erroneously) assuming the dev is no longer interested in working on the bug (although I was almost right...hehe) Thank you to both Donnie and Seemant for you replies. Also, thanks to Brian Jackson (iggy@g.o) for helping out with the bug in question. Keep up the good work, guys. Cheers Andrew -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list