From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] System management - Portage management
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:21:38
1 Sounds like a single LAN and a small office. You might want to consider
2 putting your /usr on the same file-server where you keep your /home.
3 Then you need to only update the server and propagate changes in /etc to the
4 clients (which you will need to check anyway if you are to install it all
5 separately). On the other hand if your changer are really lockal (such as
6 user settings, going under /home) you might end up mounting all your
7 important stuff (/bin /etc /lib and /sbin) off that nfs server and only
8 leaving /var /root /boot and /mnt local (of course /proc and /dev are local
9 as well). With some tweaking yopu might even do diskless workstations, but
10 that would be to much work for too little benefit, since you have them all
11 functioning now.
12 There are definitely pros and cons of doing things this way, and it is really
13 up to you to chose what is best in your case.
14
15 George