From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-python/cryptography to use rust, effectively killing alpha, hppa, ia64, m68k, s390
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 00:51:10
1 Hi Michał,
2
3 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> writes:
4
5 > So it seems that upstream has practically closed the discussion,
6 > and the short summary is that they only care for the 'majority' of
7 > users, they don't care for minor platforms (but we're free to port
8 > LLVM/Rust to them) and -- unsurprisingly -- this is a part of crusade
9 > towards promoting Rust.
10 >
11 > Given the aggressive opinions of a number of Python core devs
12 > participating in the discussion, I'm afraid that it is quite probable
13 > that a future version of CPython may require Rust. In fact, they've
14 > already started having knee-jerk reactions to the problem at hand [1].
15 > To be honest, I've never thought I'd be this disappointed in Python
16 > upstream.
17 >
18 > Good news is that they've promised to keep a LTS branch with security
19 > fixes to the non-Rust version. Until end-of-year. And they've pretty
20 > aggressively stated that they won't fix anything except security bugs
21 > with a CVE assigned. So if it stops building for whatever reason, we're
22 > on our own.
23 >
24 > I've reached out to Debian and they're planning to remove support for
25 > minor architectures for this package in the next release. However,
26 > Python is not as central to them as it is to us. Alpine is also
27 > affected but seems intent on pushing Rust forward, so they'll probably
28 > drop these architectures as well.
29 >
30 > Mike's submitted a PR to remove (unnecessary) cryptography dep from our
31 > urllib3/requests packages [2]. This should make it possible to avoid
32 > cryptography at least on some systems. However, it is still an indirect
33 > test dependency of these packages, so we're going to have a hard time
34 > keeping them properly tested.
35 >
36 > At this point, I'm really depressed about this and I'm seriously
37 > wondering why I'm wasting so much effort on open source. I don't see
38 > a good way out of it. Rust could be a nice language -- but it won't if
39 > it continues to be surround by arrogant zealots who want to destroy
40 > everything in their path towards promoting it.
41 >
42 > The first big blocker we're going to hit is trustme [3] package that
43 > relies on cryptography API pretty heavily to generate TLS certs for
44 > testing. If we managed to convince upstream to support an alternate
45 > crypto backend, we'd be able to retain minor keywords a lot of packages
46 > without too much pain.
47
48 I could feel the pain.
49
50 Bootstraping Rust on Prefix is somewhere between alpha, hppa, ia64,
51 m68k, s390 and amd64[1]. The problem was exposed by
52 gnome-base/librsvg[2].
53
54 I am wondering how useable pkgcore is on alpha, hppa, etc. Maybe it's
55 time for us to plan for a Gentoo without essential Python dependency.
56
57 Looking forward to gcc-rust for saving the world in the end.
58
59 Benda
60
61 1. https://bugs.gentoo.org/689160