From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:34:59
1 Fernando J. Pereda wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 02:56:26PM -0700, Ryan Phillips wrote:
3 >> I sorta like git in certain aspects. If git would work better than
4 >> CVS or anything other SCM I'm for it. Right now, _anything_ would be
5 >> better than CVS.
6 >
7 > I don't really know if Git is suitable for our workflow though... I was
8 > just trying to clarify those issues you pointed out about Git.
9 >
10 > I locally manage a couple of overlays with it, but nothing compared to
11 > the portage tree.
12
13 Nobody's explicitly mentioned this yet, but X.Org is switching a lot of
14 its stuff over to git. That's the reason for keithp's parsecvs tool. The
15 biggest one is the xserver CVS module, which has years of history and
16 much more complex branching than anything I'm aware of in our CVS.
17
18 They have a similar centralized development model to us, so it's a
19 reasonable comparison. Although there are quite a few less files in
20 their repo, arguments could be made for splitting up gentoo-x86 into one
21 repo per subdirectory or similar.
22
23 Thanks,
24 Donnie