From: Brandon Hale <tseng@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Patches and the 2.4->2.6 move
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 03:20:35
1 > I have a patch that fixes SSE problems on 2.4 kernels. However, on 2.6
2 > kernels it breaks OpenGL (applications segfault).
3 >
4 > Currently I'm applying this patch if /usr/src/linux is linked to a 2.4
5 > kernel at compile-time.
6 >
7 > This means that if a user emerges xfree when linked to a 2.4 kernel,
8 > that user will need to remerge xfree after moving to 2.6 kernels. This
9 > takes about 40 minutes on a ~2GHz x86. However, if this patch is not
10 > applied, the bug will continue to exist for all Gentoo users on 2.4
11 > kernels.
12
13 It appears that the larger part of our user base is running a 2.4 series kernel,
14 and will be for quite some time. Considering this, and our position that
15 testing kernels are not offically supported, I think we should give priority to
16 fixing bugs that affect the most users.
17
18 > My request to you is:
19 > 1) Is this acceptable?
20
21 I find this acceptable under the condition that it is properly documented in
22 both postinst and ChangeLog.
23
24 > 2) If not, what is a better solution? Dropping the patch entirely? Note
25 > that I don't know Mesa/programming well enough to write a patch
26 > compatible for both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.
27
28 The one caveat I can think of is GRP. Will we distribute a package for both
29 kernels? How does portage choose the right one?
30
31 > Thanks,
32 > Donnie
33