From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Best practices for package.mask removals
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 03:29:02
1 Remi (or rane.. or some other r- dev ;]) was asking a couple days ago how to
2 write a package.mask entry for removals so the script picks it up. Actually
3 there is no script (just me), and there's no real rules. but I thought I'd
4 mention a couple things that would make life easier.
5
6 In your package.mask entry, it would help to have the following info:
7
8 a) reason for masking
9 b) bug # for the removal (and yes you should have one)
10 c) date of removal (either the date or just "in x days" is fine)
11 d) the word "removal" :P
12
13 (Eventually I'll write a dumb little util to automate filling these in but for
14 now I'm really really lazy.)
17 Bad:
18
19 # Dev Elepor <noname@g.o> (25 Jan 2008)
20 # Broken
21 app-misc/some-package
22
23 # Dev Elepor <noname@g.o> (25 Jan 2008)
24 # Masked for security bug #999999
25 app-misc/some-package
28 Better:
29
30 # Dev Elepor <noname@g.o> (25 Jan 2008)
31 # Masked for removal
32 app-misc/some-package
35 Best:
36
37 # Dev Elepor <noname@g.o> (25 Jan 2008)
38 # Masked for removal in 30 days. Doesn't work
39 # with new libfoo. Upstream dead, gtk-1, smells
40 # funny. (bug #987654)
41 app-misc/some-package
44 This just saves me scouring bugzilla and the mailing lists for these packages
45 looking for more info.
46
47 Thanks!
51 fonts, by design, by neglect
52 gcc-porting, for a fact or just for effect
53 wxwindows @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662