From: Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eselect modules
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:25:34
1 > My opinion is this: Keeping eselect modules inside eselect's SVN repo
2 > results in:
3 > a) More eyes reading the code (read: QA)
4
5 I think the point you're trying to make here is that the QA is easier to
6 accomplish for you, and that certainly is true.
7
8 I think having modules in app-admin/eselect-<module>/files/ or in
9
10 > b) The possibility to change all modules in one move in case we change
11 > ~ something like a default behaviour, or function names, etc.
12
13 Well, this default behavior shouldn't change once 1.0 is finished, so I
14 think ciaranm's point is valid. Once 1.0 is released, the API should
15 stabilize, and you should let developers utilize this framework, but
16 until then, perhaps a little bit tighter control is prudent.
17
18 > Having all modules in the same repository is imho more important than
19 > having only one package to distribute it. I can happily live with
20 > x11-base/opengl-update installing a module inside
21 > ~ /usr/share/eselect/modules
22 > and creating a symlink for opengl-update.
23
24 Ok, then I can certainly live with this until 1.0 stabilizes (and
25 perhaps longer if the development model works well) as long as it's the
26 repository we're talking about and not the package or tarball (meaning
27 I'd like to bzip2 my eselect module from the repository and use that in
28 the package rather than getting it out of an eselect-<version> tarball).
29
30 > I'd prefer app-admin/eselect-<modulename>, but i could happily live with
31 > app-eselect/<modulename>. But i don't think that we need a whole new
32 > category for eselect modules. Not right now, and probably not in future,
33 > either.
34
35 Yeah, app-admin/eselect-<module name> seems reasonable.
36
37 > Jeremy, do you know about the 'old-script-name' feature that Ciaran
38 > introduced?
39 > By symlinking /usr/bin/eselect to one of these
40 >
42 > ~ update-<module> or manage-<module>,
43 >
44 > a call to it will be handles as if the user called 'eselect <module>'.
45 > You might probably want to consider this for your opengl-update package.
46
47 Actually, no I didn't, but I'll look into it later tonight.
48
49 Thanks,
50 Jeremy