From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CPU_FLAGS_X86 gentoo repository migration complete
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 23:28:18
1 On 02/01/2015 02:39 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> 2. app-emulation/bochs got local USE=3dnow and USE=avx since the flag
4 >> control support of emulating the two instruction sets rather than using
5 >> host CPU instruction sets.
6 >
7 > Wouldn't it be simpler to use CPU_FLAGS_X86 for these and simply
8 > disable the emulation code if they're set? That seems better to me.
9
10 CPU_FLAGS is intended to control which machine code instructions are
11 allowed to be used in the compiled executables. If we use it for
12 anything else that does not fit this precise definition, then it will be
13 inconsistent and lead to confusion.
14 --
15 Thanks,
16 Zac