From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: future.eclass
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 18:02:04
1 On 11/07/2014 03:13 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 11/06/2014 01:53 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> # This eclass contains backports of functions that were accepted
7 >>>> # by the Council for the EAPI following the EAPI used by ebuild,
8 >>>> # and can be implemented in pure shell script.
9 >>>
10 >>> I'm not sure that I like this sort of a moving-target definition.
11 >>> When EAPI6 is out, do you intend to have the eclass die at some point
12 >>> for any packages using EAPI5?
13 >>
14 >> We should be able to simply migrate consumers to the new EAPI, then
15 >> deprecate future.eclass.
18 > Deprecate it? But what about providing EAPI7 support for EAPI6
19 > packages? The description doesn't say that the eclass is intended to
20 > provide EAPI6 support for EAPI5 packages - it says that it is intended
21 > to provide EAPIn+1 support for EAPIn packages.
22
23 Okay, then we could number the future eclasses by EAPI. Like
24 future-eapi-6, future-eapi-7, and so on.
25
26 > Of course, this approach tends to make the assumption that EAPIs are
27 > orderable, which isn't actually something anybody has committed to as
28 > far as I'm aware. The next EAPI /could/ be named "webapp-1" and only
29 > be used for web applications. Granted, there have been no plans to
30 > date to deviate from the linear EAPI history we've maintained so far.
31
32 We could also add a future-eapi-webapp-1 eclass.
33
34 > I'm still concerned that in general we tend to have packages hang
35 > around at older EAPIs for a long time as it is. That isn't really a
36 > problem if those EAPIs are stable and supported for a while. This
37 > seems likely to complicate things.
38
39 Sure, it could. However, it should be pretty manageable if we use a
40 separate future eclass for each EAPI.
41
42 > There is no guarantee that moving
43 > to the actual new EAPI won't break something, and packages that don't
44 > move become blockers for the eclass being able to move on to the next
45 > EAPI.
46 --
47 Thanks,
48 Zac