From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Marking GPL-incompatible linkage?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:39:43
1 * Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò <flameeyes@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > Right now the aac useflag enable support for MP4v2 tags writing through
6 > libmp4v2; the problem is that the library is licensed under MPL, while Amarok
7 > is licensed under GPL, and they are likely not compatible one to the other,
8 > which means it's impossible to redistribute binaries built this way.
9
10 I'm not an license expert, but *IMHO* this only is an issue on static
11 linking, not w/ dynamic linking. My argumentation would go like this:
12
13 * The only possible conflict is that MPL'ed binaries are not allowed
14 to link into GPL'ed ones.
15 * What we call dynamic linking is actually loading some binary into
16 an process and using its code/data - files are not touched
17 * We do not actually link against an certain library, but instead
18 against some *interface* (ie. defined by some .h file) - this
19 is independent from an specific binary.
20 * On an binary distribution, the two packages only sit somewhere in
21 our filesystem (as well as an installed system) and aren't linked
22 together in any way.
23
24 => There's no impact on an binary distro (which would not be on
25 the running system).
26
27 To prohibit such an binary distro you could try two ways:
28
29 a) prohibit MPL'ed and GPL'ed files together on the same media
30 or computer. Totally stupid idea, IMHO.
31 b) claim exclusive rights on an interface specification.
32 -> not copyright, but patent issue
33 -> at least in EU, such patents are illegal (although they exists)
36 Just my 0.02 EUR ...
37
38 cu
39 --
41 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
43 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
44 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
45 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
46 http://patches.metux.de/
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list