From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] PROPERTIES=virtual for meta-packages (clarification of definition)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 01:49:09
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Duncan wrote:
5 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> posted 48B440F6.7020705@g.o,
6 > excerpted below, on Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:44:22 -0700:
7 >
8 >> Duncan wrote:
9 >>> I therefore believe I like just moving them all to a *virtual*/
10 >>> category better, thus obviating the need for that particular property
11 >>> in the first place.
12 >> This has been suggested elsewhere in the thread [1] but I think the the
13 >> PROPERTIES approach will be more flexible and practical for the reasons
14 >> that I've already stated.
15 >>
16 >> [1]
17 >> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/
18 > msg_65636255c9d284e51898e826cae09ffd.xml
19 >
20 > Maybe it's just 'cause I'm not a dev, but I don't see the reasons you
21 > state there as a problem. I specifically addressed the java-virtuals
22 > category by suggesting that the trigger could be on "virtual" in the
23 > category, not on the single category "virtual", so java-virtuals would be
24 > included as would any other *virtual* category, and the java folks
25 > wouldn't have to move it after all.
26 >
27 > Moves as for kde/kde-meta might be an issue, but I don't believe any more
28 > so than any other package move, and since they're "virtual", possibly
29 > less so. The splits, as for qt, might be more confusing, but it's a
30 > one-time split either now or (for future packages) whenever they go
31 > virtual, at which point there's a lot of work going into them anyway.
32 >
33 >>From my perspective, that's not significant additional cost, at least
34 > compared to the cost associated with the PROPERTIES=virtual in the first
35 > place. Given the advantages, including the clarity of having the virtual
36 > property out where all can see it in the category name itself, I think
37 > it's worth the relatively small additional cost.
38 >
39 > That said, it'd be nice, and to me, worth the cost, particularly as
40 > compared to the cost of implementing a new property anyway, but since I'm
41 > not the one implementing it (in either the PM or the packages), feel free
42 > to override that opinion.
43 >
44 > There's also conceivably some times when a virtual/pkg_name might not be
45 > a proper fit regardless of the property, making the category proposal
46 > somewhat less flexible. I can't think of anywhere that such might be the
47 > case, but that doesn't mean there aren't such cases. But I still believe
48 > the benefit of having the property out there for all to see more valuable
49 > than any potentially lost flexibility.
52 The PROPERTIES approach still seems a lot simpler and practical to
53 me. It seems to me that the approach involving categories introduces
54 needless complexity without bringing any really useful benefits.
55 - --
56 Thanks,
57 Zac