From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Was: Getting Important Updates To Users)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:49:00
1 On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 21:37 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > So what's the point of the ChangeLog again?
3
4 Isn't it to record specific changes that have happened to a specific
5 package?
6
7 News items may be about changes that have not yet happened - to allow
8 users to plan ahead and prepare appropriately.
9
10 News items may also be about (possibly future) changes where there is no
11 one corresponding package; equally a news item may be relevant for a
12 large number of packages. In both of those circumstances, looking for
13 news in a package-specific ChangeLog doesn't seem right to me. Feels to
14 me to be both bad engineering and bad SCM practice.
15
16 > I'm really just against having it in emerge, especially with the current
17 > suggestion of portage just doing a little bit of maintenance work for
18 > external tools and nothing else.
19
20 I can't think of any other place where we have every Gentoo user's
21 attention to the same extent that we do when emerge outputs that
22 reminder about any CONFIG_PROTECTed packages that need attention.
23
24 It's the one and only place where we can reach every user. That is the
25 whole purpose of this idea. We're trying to deliver the news to 100% of
26 the user base, or as near as damn it.
27
28 Best regards,
29 Stu
30 --
31 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
32 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
33 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
34
35 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
36 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C