From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Experiment: confcache patch for portage-2.0.50-r10
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:08:24
1 On Thursday 09 September 2004 23:12, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > GNU autoconf is a bottleneck for compiling packages - especially on
5 > multi-processor boxes. It supports the idea of a cache, but provides
6 > no tools for maintaining the cache at all.
7 >
8 > I've put together an experimental patch for Portage 2.0.50-r10, which
9 > maintains a cache for configure to reuse. You can find it here:
10 >
11 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/confcache/
12 >
13 > Once you've patched and re-installed Portage, to activate the cache,
14 > make sure you have both 'sandbox' and 'confcache' set in FEATURES in
15 > /etc/make.conf. This feature only helps ebuilds which call 'econf'.
16 >
17 > I'd be interested in getting some feedback on this patch, as well as
18 > any suggested improvements.
19
20 Great. One other thing is that many configure functions also support some
21 kind of presets where the answers can be provided (site configuration) in
22 `PREFIX/etc/config.site'. This is not a cache but a way to set defaults.
23 I think we could also look into that.
24
25 Paul
28 Paul de Vrieze
29 Gentoo Developer