From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] news item for udev 197-r3 upgrade (yes, I know, it's late)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:59:16
1 On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:19 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3 >> please review this news item, seems we need one after all
4 >
5 > Here's a crazy idea: can we patch our kernel to let "make oldconfig"
6 > default CONFIG_DEVTMPFS to true? Or better yet, request that this is
7 > changed upstream?
8
9 I could see making that the default if there is no .config file
10 present and a new one is being created, and perhaps upstream would
11 support that since udev is popular. However, make oldconfig is
12 usually used when you have a .config file and you just want to update
13 it. In that case I don't think we should be changing settings - what
14 if a user doesn't want this set? They'd have to remember to manually
15 unset it every single time they compile a new kernel, as we'd be
16 "helpfully" changing it back.
17
18 Not everybody uses udev.
19
20 Somebody already brought this up, but the main thing users need is
21 notice for changes like this, and warnings. By all means mention in
22 the warnings that their systems will be unbootable. And by all means
23 let's cut down on spurious elog traffic otherwise.
24
25 Oh, here's another thought - when elog traffic gets sent out as email
26 can the subject line be changed based on the most serious message in
27 the log? That is, can a log-only email be distinguished from one that
28 has a warning in it?
29
30 Rich