From: John Whitney <jjw@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GLEP for Deltup package update system
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:10:50
1 Hi everyone,
2 I'd like to call your attention to GLEP 9 (http://glep.gentoo.org) which describes a non-intrusive system for patching old tarballs when updates are available. This would result in great bandwidth savings and requires no changes in the portage code. Users can simply emerge deltup and edit their FETCHCOMMAND in make.conf to enable patching. Package updates would greatly reduce mirror loads and are a must for anyone with a slow net connection. All that is required is to make patches available and make a file in the portage tree with the list of available patches. Deltup was written especially for Gentoo and is designed to patch tarballs while still retaining the correct md5sum.
3 You can try my demo (only a few patches available) by following Lisa's "Tiny-HOWTO: Deltup for Gentoo": http://www.thedoh.com/linux/HOWTO/deltup
4 All this project needs is the green light. Isn't it about time we make Gentoo more available to the bandwidth deprived?
5 ---JJW
6 --
8 http://www.linuxmail.org/
9 Now with e-mail forwarding for only US$5.95/yr
10
11 Powered by Outblaze
14 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list