From: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No 'real' editor in /bin ?
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 10:44:53
1 >>>>> "Thomas" == Thomas T Veldhouse <veldy@×××××.net> writes:
2
3 Thomas> Same here. And I would REALLY like to see a nicer vi than ex
4 Thomas> emulating vi. I once ran across the BSD vi ported to Linux.
5 Thomas> FreeBSD (and presumably NetBSD and OpenBSD) has a very nice
6 Thomas> vi, one I am very familiar with and like.
7
8 Seconded, using Free/NetBSD, i always forget to ESC before to move my
9 cursor in insert mode ;-) I'm always surprised with the GenToo Vi
10 package, which seems to not allow this by default (but, that's the good
11 old vi default behaviour, if i remember).
12
13 I know i'm corny, but there is A Unix Editor, and VI is its
14 name. Given this, we may prefer another one : nano (humph...) or
15 Emacs (that's the one i'm using for all my work) but it must be a VI
16 somewhere.
17 --
18 Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1334770626 secondes