From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: INVALID -> NOCHANGE in bugzilla
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:14:58
1 On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:46:07 +0100
2 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:07:08 +0100
5 > "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Certainly good explanations as to why a bug is being closed are to
8 > > be encouraged. My issue isn't with that - it's with the way that
9 > > the marking INVALID is perceived, when there's no need to be so
10 > > harsh.
11 >
12 > And NOCHANGE could be perceived as "We're not going to change this
13 > anyway",
14
15 No, that would be WONTFIX (or CANTFIX). NOCHANGE implies there is
16 nothing wrong with the existing code, so there's no question of whether
17 we should change anything or not.
18
19 > so you're not really solving any problem by just changing a
20 > label. Some people will only ever be happy if they get the FIXED
21 > label on their reports.
22
23 I'm not sure that's so. There are certainly many who don't like
24 their reports marked INVALID, at least initially. I know I've seen many
25 instances where the word INVALID has got peoples hackles up, yet after
26 it's explained that it doesn't imply they shouldn't have raised the
27 report in the first place, they're ok (I've explained to people before
28 that the INVALID marking just indicates that there's no change required
29 to the tree). This is the same issue I have with "NOTABUG" - it's like
30 saying, "you're wrong, shouldn't have raised the report", just perhaps
31 not as in-your-face as INVALID.
34 Still, it looks like I'm being out-gunned on this one, and I'm
35 starting to repeat myself, so I'll be quiet for a bit...
38 Kevin F. Quinn