From: Dave Shanker <dshanker@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 22:54:19
1 On 9/6/05, Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > arch - in theory stable
4 > ~arch - in theory should work, but needs testing
5 > -arch - do not work at all
9 Just out of curiosity, why are there know broken packages in portage?
10 Wouldn't -arch packages best be handled outside of the official portage tree
11 such as a developers overlay? Couldn't the same be said for pmasked also? If
12 we were to remove pmasked and -arch packages from portage and and handle
13 them via overlays, the portage tree would contain only working versions of
14 programs and testing versions of the same program which would be ~arch'd.
15 This should should suffice for most users; but If they want to run the
16 "broken" programs, they'd download the overlay and install it again. No need
17 to add lines to both package.unmask and package.keywors either. Once broken
18 package is fixed, it should be moved into portage for testing and then
19 finally unarched.
20
21 And I apologize in advance if this was brought up before or is just plain
22 stupid.. I'm fairly new to Gentoo development list and this is my first
23 reply :).
24
25 Regards,