From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please don't turn this into a pissing match. (was: pkg_pretend USE validation and VALID_USE alternative)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:32:36
1 On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 22:53:10 +0530
2 Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
3 > On a related note, I really like Zac's and solar's no-nonsense
4 > get-stuff-done-even-if-it-isn't-perfect attitude, and would love it if
5 > everyone else applied it as well (if they don't already). I don't care
6 > if the proposal is perfect; as a potential user of those features, I
7 > want it to be implemented in portage in a reasonable time-frame.
8 >
9 > Over-engineering and then designing something to death is not the way
10 > to deliver said feature to the user. It's really stupid when the
11 > design document gets more attention than the implementation used by
12 > 90% of our users.
13
14 In that case, why would you like to see VALID_USE as well as
15 pkg_pretend? Why not just use pkg_pretend, which is already in EAPI 4
16 and which can do everything VALID_USE can do plus several useful things
17 that it can't?
18
19 With pkg_pretend you can do VALID_USE using a simple eclass...
22 Ciaran McCreesh