From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] PMS (was: don't rely on dynamic deps)
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:38:46
1 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014, Martin Vaeth wrote:
3 >
4 >> Quite the opposite, PMS claims that one cannot rely on
5 >> anything stored in /var/db
6 >
7 > Where does it say so?
8
9 "Appendix B: Unspecified Items
10
11 The following items are not specified by this document,
12 and must not be relied upon by ebuilds.
13 [...]
14 The VDB (/var/db/pkg)
15 [...]"
16
17 This is bugging me for quite a while already, because I
18 had to try and to rely on undocumented behaviour for all
19 features of eix which access /var/db/pkg.
20
21 It also is one of the reasons why it might be dangerous
22 if you use another PM even only for testing purposes:
23 In theory, it might even be possible that a package installed
24 by one PM is not recognized by the other.
25 I guess that this is not a big problem in practice, but
26 in fine points like the discussed prerm perhaps some
27 problems might arise through mixing.